Sunday, December 4, 2011

Design #3







Over this past weekend I was brainstorming an idea to make me and Alexander's balloon car to travel straight instead of swerving left or right. The first idea that came to mind was to have only one front wheel instead of two. This really helped the direction of where the car went, but it still wasn't consistent enough because the two caps on each side of the wheel were too loose and made the front wheel turn slightly left. On Sunday morning I thought and thought of a way to consistently keep our balloon car moving more accurately straight and then it clicked. I took a large popicle stick and cut a space between it so the wheel could just be able to spin smoothly between the stick. I thought of an idea to make the balloon blow the air out more smoothley also. I found a rubber cylinder with quite a large opening for maximum power and glued the balloon around the rubber cylinder. I blew the balloon up and let it rip. It still was going left! By this time it was getting late into the afternoon and my mind was stumped. i gave another idea a try by spreading the weight evenly by gluing two popsicle sticks on the right side to give the right side more weight and gluing only one popsicle stick on the left side of the car. It finally went straight and hit 17ft on a tiled floor. Let's just hope it gets more than 17ft on our trial day tomorrow, wish us luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment